Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The ALCHEMIST


I have discovered some of the most exciting revelations in books and have, over the years, grown to like some types of books more than others. I am very fond of biographies and topical books, including the post-modern genre of books by ‘spiritual’ teachers. I would like to share, through this piece of writing, my reflections on the book The Alchemist. I have always read not only for the pleasure of the pursuit but also for the whole experience, which includes the effort, the gain and the discovery. As such I value Paulo Coelho as a new and gratifying reading experience.

Coelho appeals to me probably because I am a Romanist at heart. I believe, whatever we are today, or whatever we may become in future, is because of our dreams.
The Alchemist means a great deal to me because it has taught me two things – the courage to dream and the value of exploration. I believe that I started understanding my own mode of thinking once I went through the book in an in-depth manner. I got to know the importance of constant self-evaluation – that is, whenever we realize that we are falling short of our expectations, the realization actually acts as a catalyst to push us to the next level in our lives.
The Alchemist presents a simple fable; when I say simple I mean it. Honestly speaking I had expected something more convoluted and abstruse going by the title. But the simple fable is by no means uninteresting, leave alone staid. The story is based on simple truths presented in plausibly unique situations. In the genre of all best –sellers of all ages, the Alchemist, uses the most appealing formula; simple story, plausible people, fantastic places and most importantly, a lesson that is rock solid by virtue of its commonsense. In his journey, the central character of the book Santiago sees the greatness of the world and aspires for its treasures. He chances upon many people, including an alchemist, each one of whom enlightens Santiago that the treasure is the journey itself, the discoveries he has made, and the wisdom he has acquired in the process; Succinctly put, the "treasure lies where your heart belongs.” The outcome of this symbolic masterpiece is that we find ourselves compelled not avoid our destinies and inspired to follow our dreams.
Perhaps the relevance of any book is to a large extent determined by what it gives the reader – this could be in any terms – in terms of an intellectual experience, a laugh, a revelation, a lesson or sheer entertainment. Candidly speaking, The Alchemist gave me some of all this and will long remain a favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment